Monday, March 09, 2009

A Good Lesson in Money

Friday the kids have their piano lessons at their school. Then J picks them up when he gets off of work and it works out nicely. Especially since I have my Bible study and Mom's Day Out afterward. I don't get home until about 1:30 and Peanut falls asleep in the van on the way home. Since she is stimulated with the other kids for about 4 hours she is tired. Before the lessons started I would have to wake her up to be able to get to school on time to get them. But I digress. This last Friday I gave GG's teacher an envelope with the money for the lessons and she gave it to her right before she went to piano. Some how between her classroom, locker and sanctuary she lost the envelope. I had put her piano teachers name on it so I was hopeful that someone might turn it in. She said she went back up to her locker to look for it and it was no where to be fine. J called me on the way home and asked me to call the teacher to see if she had found it. She didn't. When they got home she immediately went into her room and got money out to give to her teacher since she had lost it. She was so upset with herself for having lost it. This morning I went in and asked the teacher if someone had brought it back to the class...they hadn't. So I went to the office to see if someone turned it in there...nope. Well I guess we are out the money. Then about 10 minutes later her piano teacher calls to say that she got the money. Someone had given the envelope to her dad who teaches at the school. I was so happy. And when I picked GG up from school today I told her the money was found she was the happiest little girl. This week I am leaving the money in the office for her I just can't handle the stress of losing it again. When is a good age for kids to have big responsibilities like that? I really thought she was ready for it but I guess not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time write a check those get turned in when found

Tonya said...

The check would be a good idea however the kids got cash for Christmas to pay for their lessons and I don't want to have to waste a check every week. And the cash did get turned in thanks to my kids going to a private school where most of the people are honest!

Anonymous said...

You are lucky the money got turned in!

Cynthia said...

That is a tough question. Glad it was found:)

hestermom said...

Well, I don't blame you for wanting to find another way to do it for now... But I would say that GG actually proved herself quite well. Meaning that, even as adults we lose things or make mistakes, but she was a very admirable young lady for being willing to take responsibility for her mistake!! So, I would say you made the right call, and she was ready for the responsibility. And besides the fact that she will probably NEVER forget this whole incident, I think God blessed her willingness to give of her own money to cover the mistake. =)