Friday, March 19, 2010

Give this one a try!

Two things! First the house closed on Thursday so we are officially HOUSELESS!!! That is such a weird feeling. Anyways, I just wanted to get on here real quick and let you know that the Butternut Squash with Dill Soup was a HUGE hit with everyone except Red who said it was too spicy. I will use less cayenne pepper next time :) For anyone interested this is *MY* version of the recipe from Eating Your Way to Good Health Cookbook.

2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large onions, sliced and halved
5 cups Vegetable broth (I only used 4 and next time I’m going to try Chicken broth)
1 cup hot water (I used 2)
1 butternut squash
1/2 tsp allspice
2 tsp dill (dried)
cayenne pepper to taste (I think I used a little too much!)
sea salt and pepper to taste
I added 2 bags of boil in bag brown rice to the ingredients.

Saute onions in olive oil for about 5 minutes (unless they start to brown). Add broth and water. Cover and bring to boil cooking 10 minutes on med-low heat.

Make the brown rice like the box says but a little less time.

I quartered the squash, removed the seeds and steamed them for 10 minutes without the skin on. The recipe said to halve them then microwave them for 10 minutes, we don’t have a microwave here. Add the squash, allspice, and dill. Cook over low heat for about 8-10 minutes until the squash is tender. Add the other seasonings and brown rice. It was yummy.

Peanut the one who has the hardest time with new recipes asked for seconds!!! I was so excited and I knew then this was a winner and could be added to the menu :) My goal is to find at least 25 good recipes that we all like so that our meals stay fresh and don’t get mundane. I think I have about 10 or so. I should go through and see what I do have.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Congrats on the house closing...AND a "hit" recipe:)