Thursday, June 04, 2009

Oh the LAST day of school!!!

I can't even begin to tell you how exciting it is to NOT have to wake up tomorrow with an alarm! It makes homeschooling really appealing. Well this morning didn't exactly start the way I was hoping it would. I wanted to get to school right at 8:15 when the doors open so that I could get pictures of the kids with their teachers. We got out to the van on time and everyone buckled in and the van wouldn't start. THE. VAN. WASN'T. STARTING. Then I remembered that last night GG was reading a book in the van and had her light on and didn't turn it off. It must of drained the battery. I called J to see if he could come home and take the kids to school and then come back and jump the van. I didn't want them being late. I tried the van again when I called him just to make sure and nothing happened again. So we waited. About 5 minutes later our neighbor came out and said if we could get the van out of the garage then he would jump it for us. The 3 older kids and I started pushing and nothing was moving. I tried getting it out of park and it wouldn't move. I thought if I turn the key half way I might be able to get it in Neutral. Then...it started for me. I was so happy though we were now running later than I wanted to be. The kids still got to school on time and I even managed to get quick pictures with their teachers. Did I mention that today is beautiful? The little kids and I came home and I finished up the laundry that was started yesterday and I took them to the park until the big kids got out of school. Then started the water works with my oldest. She really loved her teacher this year and she is going to get to have her again next year because she is moving up to 3rd grade. She cried last year and the year before. She is a very deep emotion person. After GG gave her teacher the last hug of the day her teacher told me that if I wanted she would take her home. I quickly said, "I'd miss her too much." Her teacher than told me what a great kid she is and how she has a heart of gold. She is always helping and caring about other people first, it really made my day to hear that. I know that but sometimes it's hard to focus on that when you are in the thick of things with life. I truly am blessed. For lunch we met J at Subway to celebrate the last day of school! Oh yeah, a funny thing that happened today was I told the kids when they had their friends sign their yearbooks to get their phone numbers so that they could do play dates during the summer. When I picked up Monkey under his teachers name was her phone number. He had asked her for it and she gave it! I had told her what I told the kids about the play dates and she said that she would love to have a play date with Monkey. I could bring him to school and she would take him to McDonalds to play and then she even told him that too. I really love this school and how much the teachers really love and care about the students. Red's teacher next year is having him come in a pick his seat and locker like the other two got to do as well. Another cool thing that is so unique to our school is that since it is preschool through High School the kids have the option of buying a yearbook. This year our whole family made it in, they used the Christmas picture from our house! It worked out cool because 3 of our kids go to the school and J, his brother and sister are alumni. The plan for this afternoon/evening is to get a list of fun activities that the kids want to do this summer so that we have a check list of fun. This is when we are going to introduce our summer schedule, rules and chores.

5 comments:

mikeanddebbie said...

Hooray for summer!!

Kat said...

I just love summer! I know some people dread having the kids home all day, but I just love it. I love not having a fixed schedule! LOVE IT!!!!
Woohoo for summer!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I love the freedom of summer. Even with homeschooling, there is still more of an agenda during the year. Summer though? NO AGENDA.

Kristin said...

Let the summer fun begin!!!

WML said...

Amen to all of your posters! Summer is even better when you are a mom AND a teacher who gets the summer off!