Friday, August 01, 2008

Be warned I'm venting here...

I am so mad for lack of a better word. I took my kids to McDonalds with a playplace with a friend of mine and her two girls. Seriously, within 5 minutes of my kids playing one of her girls comes out crying, then Red comes out crying both saying that there was a kid inside punching them. I had Red take me inside and I witnessed first hand this kid punching kids. Then I came out and started asking parents who he belonged too. But as I was asking parents at least two of them said their child came out crying too saying someone was punching them. Hmm. I found the mom and right away she got her kid out and all was well in the play place for about 20 minutes. Until two brothers decided that they were going to be the bullies. Two of the three of my kids playing in there came out complaining about them. I told them to stay away from them. And I just kept my eye on them to see where they went to get their drinks between bullying. Then it happened. Monkey got hurt from one of them. I'm thinking great kid I told you to stay away from them. I told the mom and she did nothing but buy them ice cream. Then she comes up to me and says, "I pulled each of my boys aside and asked what happened and your son poking my son in the eye first." I told her that was fine but, "That her son body slamming my son was an inappropriate way to react and that it was unacceptable." Then she says, "Well they are just boys being boys. They are just playing." To which I responded with the sign from McDonalds saying, "ALL children must be supervised. This play land is not a babysitter. I have been watching my kids." Then she says, "I have been told by several people that my boys are very well behaved. And you should talk to your son about poking my boy in the eye." I'm thinking to myself yeah that is why I have been hearing several parents around me comment on how rowdy and misbehaved your two boys are, sure lady. Needless to say, she was in denial that her kids could be bullies, together. Well I get out to the car and find out the only reason why Monkey poked him in the eye, not that it was right, was because these two boys were picking on Red. **When we got home he told me that they were actually sitting on top of Red and not getting off when he asked them too.** Red and GG told me the exact same thing leading up to the poke in the eye. He was trying to protect his baby brother from these bullies. So I'm asking you ladies. How do you handle these situations? Do you just leave the place or tell the manager or the parents. Do you talk to the kid yourself? I hate these places but my kids love them. I hate confrontation even more and I was shacking as I went out to my van. But I'm the protector of my kids, I don't baby them but I'm also not going to sit there and watch them get hurt by other kids bigger then them. These two boys were 7 and 6 years old and the youngest was the same size as GG.

The day is going better than yesterday minus this above incident. There was only one unpredictable thing happen. That was Peanut pooping out of her diaper and all over her clothes. Why is it that there is always poop involved!

8 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

First of all, I would really drive the point with your kids home that it is NEVER okay to hurt another child, no matter what the circumstances are; and that if they are in that situation again, they should call for you right away!

Other than that, since you confronted the mother, and she was unwilling to do anything, I would go to the manager. I'm sure that he or she wouldn't be able to do anything about it, but at least it would bring it to their attention so that if there are future incidents with the same people at their restaurant, they could take action...

So, I guess that's what I would do. I'm sorry that happened to your kids!

Amber said...

I cannot believe how mean kids are!! And, how some parent's don't realize that their kids are not angels! How sad!!

Mimi said...

I agree with Muthering Heights... I think you did the right thing.

It is so infuriating when you try your best to teach your kids how to behave in public and what not to do and try to set and example and someone who is just one step away from evolving into an ape comes along and ruins it all.

We've all been there and there really is no right answer. I really hate it when people don't watch their kids in those places.

And yes, there is always "Poop" involved in some form or another!

Tracy said...

Did you just say poop? lol Glad mine are out of that stage...I hate when kids are bullies. My oldest is sort-of like a modern day robin hood, he jumps in to save little kids when they are being bullied, it makes him very angry. Just wanted to say hi
Tracy

Ann(ie) said...

My little guy is only 19 months old so I haven't been in a sitch like this .... yet. But, knowing me I'll be bitch slapping the other mother b/c she's such an idiot and then I'll be calling my hubby to come get my son b/c mama's getting hauled away to the pokie. hehe.

Anonymous said...

Well most people are prob not going to like what I have to say, but I really don't care.... With 6 of my own and 1 more I think you should have at least called your kids down to the "power mother" (if you want to call her that) and have them tell you point blank in front of her why he poked him in the eye to begin with.... and GG and Red would have answered just as they did after you left there. "power mother" of the Bullies would have had to put her boys on the spot about it and then done whatever it was that she was going to do. Not likely she will or was going to do anything, and she is more than likely aware of the fact that her "boys being boys" attitude will ever change.

I have 4 of them and a 17 1/2 year old brother that live in my house, there is constant "boys being boys attitudes" with all of them.... I sometimes have to let them work it out themselves... however there is a point... (such as watching your youngest brother get pummled) that enough is ENOUGH and your boy in my mind did the right thing.

McPeek's are protective and they will always have another McPeek's back no matter who they are!!! LOL I would have maybe not "rewarded" my boys in this situation, but I would have never been upset with them...(doesn't sound like you were either), so my guess is you did the right thing.... not likely that the manager was going to do anything about it to begin w/ they never do. Just make sure that they know in the future to not poke in the eye, but everywhere else is OK! :)

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

Hi Tonya,
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you :(

Ah, the teaching moments of life! That's just the way I'd look at it. Teach MY kids how to respond in love, and to honor authority (you, not the other mom), but asking you to step in.

The biggest challenge in spots like this is what our kids are learning by watching US! OUCH!
How do we handle the offending child (ours or other's), how do we handle the other parents, and how do we use the chain of command by going to the manager, etc. ?
I think you did a great job!

It wouldn't hurt to bring the situation up again in a quiet moment, maybe bedtime prayer time, and remind your kids of what they did RIGHT and what they could have done differently. It's also a GREAT idea to admit to your kids where you blew it, and ask for their (and God's) forgiveness, if you find room for improvement.

Teachable moments are everywhere...mostly right where we don't want them! Using them, however, is an awesome advantage!!

(didn't intend to write a book) :)

sarahgrace said...

Yikes! What an awful thing to happen! It's always hard to deal with and understand when their are parents out there oblivious to how their kids behave...