Friday, August 22, 2008

Oh the Summer Days...

Since J worked 13 1/2 hours yesterday and was to work 12 today he decided to take this morning off. It was nice to actually get to see him for a little bit today, since he will be home late again. Of course, we went shopping to get some needed things for the house. It is so much easier to do with him or by myself so I jumped on the opportunity. It was a really hot day and he suggested that I take the kids to the pool. After lunch all the kids got ready and we got in the van and it started to rain. We got out of the van and by the time we got to the house it was a complete down pour. Good thing we had swim suits on! I put the two little ones down for their naps. I was going to give Peanut a nap at the pool and put Red down for a later nap but this worked out better. By the time both the kids were awake it was sunny and hot out again. Off to the pool we went. I packed some water, snacks, and money. The funniest thing happened while at the pool today. When we first got there the boys had to use the bathroom so Monkey took them both to the men's bathroom. When they came out I told Monkey next time to use the family bathroom in case I needed to come in and help them. Well later on Red needed to go to the potty and he just ran right into the men's bathroom. I didn't see him go in there and another lady at the pool who's boy he had been playing with informed me he had run off to the bathroom. I walked ran to the bathroom and yelled his name. He then informed me he was pooping. My thought "oh great he doesn't know how to wipe himself let alone his wet self. I can't send Monkey in he is too young to help him. Now what?" I then quickly think I'll go to the lifeguard station and see if they will stand at the door and let me go in. I tell them my situation of having a 3 year old in the bathroom pooping and not being able to wipe himself. Now this is just too funny. The only male in the room proceeds to put on gloves to go wipe my son's butt! All the girls were laughing. I sent Monkey in with him so he wasn't wiping some other kid, not that that would happen since Red was screaming at the top of his lungs, "I'm DONE...I'm DONE!" But I figured sending Monkey in there would also let Red know that the man was there to wipe him since Mommy couldn't go in there. It was the best solution to the problem. Poor guy said he did his best to wipe him because after all he was wet from the pool. I then had a talk with Red about telling me before he goes to the potty and then showed him which potty to use...the family one.

After about an hour in the pool Peanut was done with the water. I got her out and changed which meant that I was also done in the water and now I could sit on the side and watch the big three. I was holding Peanut when Red got his leg stuck between the pool and the hand railing going into the pool. I quickly stop the conversation I am having with the mom of the kids that my kids are playing with and put Peanut in the stroller so I can go pull him out. Now mind you the whole time I am strapping her in as fast as I can he is hollering, "MOM I'm STUCK! MOM I'm STUCK!" It didn't matter that I was trying to talk to him while putting his sister in the stroller and tell him that I was coming to get him but that I needed both hands to help and I needed to get his sister in the stroller for that to happen. I did think to put her on the ground so I could get to him faster but since she has started to crawl I didn't think that would be very safe. I probably would of then had to save a drowning baby! I will say life with 4 kids at the pool is definitely interesting. With both of those happenings I will say that the pool today was a great experience (all 4 hours) and I can't wait to take them back next week and I'm sad that the summer is coming to a close. But next year is totally going to rock at the pool!!!!

8 comments:

Crissybug said...

Okay...that is seriously one of the funniest things I have ever heard! Going to the pool is so much fun!

hestermom said...

Seriously, you are so brave. My husband works LONG hours too, so in general if there is something the kids and I are going to do, I better be able to do it by myself. You are such an inspiration...it MIGHT be possible to go to a pool with four kids. I have just learned this summer how to do it with three, and yet I am still terrified of adding another to that mix. And I am so sorry but I almost cried laughing about the wiping incident. It probably wasn't that funny at the time...=)

mikeanddebbie said...

What a riot! Life with kids--you never know what may happen!! I was entertained while reading your post! :)

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

That pooping thing was just too much. Honestly? I probably would have just announced VERY LOUDLY that a mom was coming into the men's room in 30 seconds and everyone had better be prepared. :)

Anonymous said...

Kids always provide an adventure, yes? I seriously think you deserve an award for just getting to the pool with all the kids AND their swimsuits!

Kelly said...

We had rain this week too, it always came unexpectedly leaving me running to bring in the laundry hanging on the line.

Tonya said...

Tracey ~ I did think about going into the men's room but I didn't want to risk seeing anything. I've heard stories about the men's room ;)

Hestermom ~ I actually thought it was funny...I just didn't like that I didn't know where he was for about a minute. I am consistently scanning the pool counting 1,2,3,4! But once I found him I was actually laughing when I told the lifeguards :)

Kristin said...

Never a dull moment! Glad you had a overall good pool day! YES...next year will be easier:)