Saturday, January 17, 2004

My little PRINCESS is 3 today, Happy Birthday sweet big girl. I decided that I want to share GG's birth story. I will up date later with what we did today for GG's birthday.

GG’s Birth Story!!!
On January 16th 2001, J and I went into to see my midwife Sharie for our weekly check-up. She checked me and I was 4 to 5 centimeters dilated, 80% effaced, and the baby’s head was at a +2 station. I was ready to have the baby…the only problem was that I didn’t have steady contractions. So we made arrangements with Sharie to meet at the hospital the next morning, this way my mom could be in the room with me! The next morning, Wednesday, January 17th we got to the hospital 8:15ish and they hooked me up to the monitor to check the baby and my contractions. While I was hooked up we did all of the paperwork needed for me to be admitted. I had two contractions in an hour, but when Sharie checked me I had progressed I was now 5 to 6 centimeters dilated and was 100% effaced. She said I was already half over with the labor! I didn’t even hurt. At this point I thought, “I can do this”. Then at 9:35am Sharie broke my water. Since the baby’s head was so low in the birth canal I was allowed to walk around. After they broke my water I had to wear this diaper like thing as I walked to catch the fluid coming out of me. Every time I laughed the fluid gusted out of me…that was the weirdest feeling in the world. It felt like I was peeing my pants. I walked for fifteen minutes and then had to go back to the room so that the nurses could check the baby’s vitals and mine. Then I went walking again, for fifteen minutes, then back to the room for another check of vitals. During the second walk I started to have contractions, which I noticed, they didn’t stop me from walking but I just noticed them. I think they were about 5 minutes apart; I also had stopped leaking amniotic fluid when the contractions started. Then I went back to get checked again, as I was getting ready to go walk again the contractions got a lot stronger, it was about 10:15am. I was only able to walk for 5 minutes this time and had to go back to the room to try something else. I sat in the rocking chair and rocked for about a half an hour or so. Then I decided that I needed to try something else…I opted for the shower. Before I got in the shower they checked to see how I was progressing, I was at 7 centimeters, so I was progressing!!! That is always good news when you are in labor. I sat in the shower with J for about an hour and a half…it felt so good. While I was in the shower J and I talked about what we thought the sex of the baby was going to be. We both thought we were having a girl! Also I did have some medication through my labor; about 20 minutes after I got in the shower I got the shot in the butt. It was a muscle relaxant to help take the edge off of the contractions and it sure did help. They checked me while I was in the shower and I was 9.9 centimeters dilated. Sharie wanted me to get out of the shower so I could lie on my left side during contractions to help it dilate. It took my mom and J to help me get to the bed. I felt so helpless; I couldn’t even dry myself off. It only took about 20 minutes lying on my left side to be completely dilated! Now I could start pushing. I looked at the clock and it was 1:15pm. I couldn’t believe it was already afternoon. I started pushing and decided that this was my favorite part of labor. I was somewhat in control of the pain now. I pushed for a little over an hour. At 2:24pm my precious little girl was born. She was 7 lbs 8 oz and 20 inches long.

No comments: